Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Carolina Vinegar Based Coleslaw


Carolina Coleslaw (Vinegar Based)

I love a good side salad, and I love the peppery zip of Coleslaw.  I am finding the older I get the more I like the taste of the vinegar based rather than the cream based.  It gives it a little more tang and a lot less calories.  Plus where I am from in the west it's not very common so it's fun to hear people say 'well that's different, I like it.'  Pair it on the side of - or even better, on top of a pulled pork sandwich.

Ingredients:

1 bag of Coleslaw.  (I don't shred my own... you can if you want...)
1 TBSP Rice Vinegar
3 TBSP Cider Vinegar
1T +1tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Chicken Bullion Granules
1 TBSP Olive Oil

In a large bowl combine everything but the Coleslaw.  Stir for a minute or two until the granules are mostly dissolved.  Add in Coleslaw.  Mix well until evenly coated in dressing.  Cover and refrigerate for a few hours, stirring occasionally. 

I have found that it needs at least 3 hours to sit so the flavors blend together better.  At first taste when fresh, it's honestly not good...It needs the time for the sugar to work.  if you like it sweeter add in more sugar a little at a time and let it sit.  You can prepare this a few hours in advance or even up to the day before, it will retain the crunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment