Saturday, March 19, 2016

Forbidden by Eve Bunting

I give this book a solid three stars. 
Age rating: Late middle school to high school

This is the first Eve Bunting book I have ever read (gasp).  I know, I know, she has written literally hundreds of books, so I have nothing to compare it to as to her others.

The writing style took me a little bit of time to get used to, and there were a lot of foreign words that I didn't understand.  (That one is my problem, the book takes place in the early 1800's in Scotland...)

Overall, the book was clean.  There was no romance*, swearing or taking of the Lords name in vain.  There is a religious undertone to the book, there is a lot of praying and a lot of it revolves around moral dilemma's and ethics.

*I was under the impression from the book jacket that there was going to be more of a love story.  It's there, it's just not very prominent.

The characters were written ok.  I felt they weren't really the focus of the story, the story itself was the focus, the characters were just a way to bring it to pass.

Overall, it was a decent book, I would recommend if you are into reading about paranormal and ghost stories and have a strong religious sense of right and wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment